Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Kaua'i Day 3

Day 3

We woke up bright and early at 6:30...AGAIN! We decided to start the day off with a run along the beach. This was one thing I really wanted to do while we were there, and the day before we had found a really cool trail that went right along the beach. The scenery was breathtaking!

I do have to say if we ever move to Hawaii, I would have to transition to a treadmill runner. It was so stinkin HOT!!! I wanted die.

On our way back to the hotel, it started raining. We had the top down in the car and decided to keep it down. While everyone else was pulling over and putting their tops up, we welcomed the refreshing rain! It felt fabulous after our hot workout. It poured for another hour or so, and had stopped just in time for us to head out for the day.

Hawaii even graced us with a rainbow!

Our first stop was to rent a boogie board and snorkel gear. Then it was off to the North shore once again! The drive that morning was even more breathtaking than the day before! The rain had produced multiple waterfalls on the mountains. It was gorgeous!

This is what the mountain looked like on our first day on the North Shore. If you look closely, you can see a tiny waterfall near the top.

This is what it looked like the next day after the rain. You might have to click and enlarge it to see all the waterfalls.

After boogie boarding in Hanalei Bay for an hour or so, we grabbed some lunch and a scrumptious Hawaiian Shaved Ice!
Have you ever had an authentic Hawaiian Shaved Ice???
They are to die for!

Next on our agenda was snorkeling at Ke'e Beach. This was my first time snorkeling in years! I think I have only ever snorkeled one other time in my life. I was a little nervous but excited.

All ready to go! Attractive huh?

The reef on this beach was only a couple of feet under the water. Shortly after getting in the water I started feeling really claustrophobic. I also kept getting water in my mask that would sit at the base of my nose. I finally had to knee on the coral to adjust my mask (BTW, I know you aren't suppose to touch, kneel, or stand on reefs, but I had no choice! I was about to drown!). It felt like kneeling on rocks! I wasn't really enjoying my snorkeling experience, so I decided to head in. Rob stayed out for a little while longer. While sitting on the beach drying, I looked down at my knee and noticed it was gushing blood! The stupid coral had cut my knee! Me, being super unprepared like always, had zero band-aids and nothing to clean my wound with. I ended up asking the people next to me if they had a band-aid. They not only had a band-aid, but they had anti-bacterial wipes, neosporin (sp?), and band-aids! Lucky for me, they were SUPER DUPER prepared! After Rob finished snorkeling, we decided it was late enough that we would stay and see the sunset. To kill some time we did a little exploring around the area...

This was a cool cave filled with water

The beach was lined with these trees that had massive root systems!

This tree was practically knocked over, but the roots kept it from falling completely over!

So cool!

I LOVE Hawaiian sunsets!

So Gorgeous!

Luckily the sun sets early in Hawaii (around 6:45), because we were starving! It was the perfect ending to another perfect day in Paradise!

2 comments:

The Call's said...

That sunset is breathtaking!! I love the pictures of the tree roots too!

Megan D. said...

Oh my goodness! That looks like so much fun! I'm glad you guys got to go - I'm excited to see more!