Wednesday, April 8, 2009

House Arrest

That's right folks...I feel like I'm on house arrest! Since last Tuesday, the only places I have ventured out to are: doctor's office, store, my parent's and Leatherby's. And I've gone out for my scheduled runs. But other than that, we have been home! For those of you who know me, this is not normal for us. The boys and I go out on various field trips DAILY! The reasons for our house arrest...#1 - a NASTY virus!
Last week Wesley got a horrible cough. He could not stop coughing for more than 2 seconds. I took him to the doctor and they said he had a virus which was causing a wheeze. They gave him a breathing treatment and sent us out the door with an inhaler. By Saturday Beckett wasn't feeling too well and yesterday he woke up with a little wheeze. It concerned me because it was worse than Wesley's. So...to the doctor we went. Diagnosis - same as Wesley's, but Beckett also had a bad ear infection. We were sent on our way with antibiotics and an inhaler. Today Beckett woke up wheezing worse than yesterday. I was concerned it might be RSV but didn't want to take another trip to the doctors for no reason. Luckily, sweet Margie (a neighbor who happens to be a pediatric nurse) came to the rescue and came and checked Beckett out. She reassured me he was ok and recommended giving him Saline drops to help break up the mucus. I'm hoping he will start feeling better in the next couple of days.

Reason #2 for our house arrest:


Potty Training! This is something that I've been dreading for months! When it comes to being a parent, I don't do well with bodily fluids. I am not one who can clean up throw up. I end up gagging and throwing up myself. I've never been a fan of changing diapers, but I know it's something that has to be done. Since I've been changing 2 bums for the past year, I started contemplating potty training Wesley. He wasn't really showing signs of readiness, but he's a smart kid. Rob and I decided that we had to start now or wait until July (we are trying to plan a trip to Disneyland in June). And that wasn't really a convenient time because we travel up to Bear Lake a couple of times during the summer and I didn't want to be in the middle of training when we did go. We started looking at weekends to start and this past weekend seemed perfect. We didn't really have anything going but general conference and that was perfect because then we would hopefully have enough time to get him sort of trained before church next week.
So we started on Saturday and it wasn't going so well. He wouldn't even sit on the potty and I was starting to wonder if he really wasn't ready. Finally by 4pm he went on the potty! Rob and I were so proud. He also went 2 more times while we were out to dinner at Leatherbys. Sunday also went better than expected. He still wasn't telling us he had to go, but Rob and I took a preemptive approach and tried to put him on the toilet before he went in his pants. It worked. He even went number 2 on the toilet (pure luck). Monday I was terrified to do the training alone. I wouldn't have anyone to watch Beckett while I dealt with Wes. First attempt at putting him on the toilet Monday morning did not go well. We had 3-4 accidents and he still wasn't telling me he needed to go.
On Tuesday morning, Wes totally had a meltdown and wouldn't even try to go. I ended up having a meltdown and had to sit him down and have a major talk with him. I knew we couldn't go back to diapers after being this far into the training process. He is a smart kid, so if we went back to diapers I knew the next try at potty training wouldn't go smoothly at all! I sat him down and told him there were no more diapers. He had to wear big boy underwear and use the potty. He said ok and not even 20 minutes later he came running to me saying he had to go to the bathroom! I was thrilled! It was the first time he told me he had to go before actually going in his pants. It was another proud moment. Yesterday has been the best day so far. He only had one accident and it was #2. I was very optimistic going into today. He sort of took a couple of steps backwards, but he is learning quickly. I feel like in a couple of more days he will at least get the first part down. I was starting to regret my decision, but after yesterday and today I think it was a good decision to start training him. We've come a long way in the past five days and I hope we make improvements in the days to come. Wish us luck!
After a week and a half of being in the house, all of us are going a little stir crazy! Hopefully by Monday Beckett will be feeling better and I will be able to take the boys some place fun! Luckily for me, tomorrow night my friend Maren and I are going on a little girls night. I can't wait! Thanks to Nikki for making it possible!

7 comments:

Bobette said...

I am so sorry! I hope your guys feel better soon! Good luck on the potty training! It will be fine!

Charley said...

Way to go Wes!!! I hope they get feeling better soon too!!

Tara Mogle said...

You are so good! How old is he now? I think about starting Connor but I don't think I am ready....let alone him. So good luck and keep us posted on what is working!!!!

dede said...

sorry that you are on house arrest - BUT it is totally worth it! It won't be long and you will forget all about this part and just be glad you aren't changing another bum!! If you want a good laugh I could bring over Elmo goes Potty - you CAN'T watch that without cracking up!

hope everyone is better soon!

Andee said...

Oh, sick babies are so HARD! It kinda takes over your life. Yeah, definitely keep us posted on your potty training progress. Get better soon!!

Kyle and Jamie said...

Good job on potting training Wes...it is hard!! I'm glad you got to go with your friend...we need to hang out as soon as your boys get feeling better...I hope they do soon for your sake! I hope you had a happy birthday too!!

Mortons said...

Jill, Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!