Sunday, July 5, 2009

A different kind of 4th...

This fourth of July weekend was a little different than usual. Normally, we spend the weekend with my family watching fireworks, seeing movies, BBQing, etc. This year, every body decided to go out of town except for us. We almost opted to do the same, but after our busy weekend last week and a busy week, we decided to stay home and have a more relaxing weekend. It was just what we needed and we had A LOT of fun!
Rob had Friday off, so we decided to take the boys swimming. That is something that Rob loves to do with his boys, but rarely gets the chance. We headed over to the KOPFC and it was the perfect day for swimming! We had so much fun just swimming as a family!

I love that both of my boys are little fish! They take after their Grandma

I was so proud of Wes for going down the big slides all by himself!
Beckett looks a little terrified, but he loved it!

Me and my boys

Then on Friday night, we went out to dinner and to South Salt Lake's fireworks with our friends the Calls. They served as our family this weekend, and we had so much fun! South Salt Lake's fireworks are held at Granite High, which is where I went to school. So a lot of old high school friends are usually there with their families and it was fun to visit and catch up with some old friends! Too bad both of our boys were not huge fans of the fireworks. Wesley has been that way from day one. I was hoping he had grown out of it by not, but no such luck. Beckett on the other had had a love/hate relationship with the fireworks. Better luck next year!







On the morning of the 4th, Rob went golfing with our friend Ryan, while Lexi and I went and got us a spot at the West Jordan City Parade. Our family had never been before and it turned out to be a lot of fun! Thanks again to the Call's for inviting us!


Wesley was so excited for the parade to start, but once it did he was yet again terrified! They had guns shooting off loud blanks, followed by 4 fire trucks and he wasn't digging the loud noises. Luckily the rest of the parade was pretty quiet.

Beckett being silly
Me and my honey!

Then later that day we decided to head up Cottonwood Canyon for a hike up to Donut Falls. It was such a beautiful day and the boys had a blast!!! Wesley walked by himself almost the whole way! He kept saying "I'm hiking Mom!!!" After our hike, we found a picnic area and roasted up some hot dogs and marshmellows. Rob and I decided we need to take the boys on more outings like this.

My boys!

Our little hiker

Beckett did not want us to hold him, and got really upset when we had to carry him half of the way.

The falls


Me and my boys

The boys had so much fun playing in the dirt and throwing rocks!


My boy scout


We ended the night with sparklers in the backyard and an early bed time. We were beat!!!
Although we didn't have our family here to celebrate America's Birthday, we still had a great time with our friends!!! I love this holiday and all that is associated with it. I am so grateful for the men and women who fight for our freedom! Happy Birthday America!!!

3 comments:

Maren Nielsen said...

How fun! Lia wasnt so sure about the fire works either. She would shake in fear and then afterwards say "YAY!". She eventually said "no like it" and I took her inside. Rowan loves them and wanted to light them with the blow torch. Scary! Anyways...glad you had fun!

Maren

The Baker Family said...

Looks like a ton of fun!! It was good to see you for the split second that I did! :)

Stacia Hoecherl said...

If you want in on the deal you can, i will offer you the same deal as my sister-in-law. Maybe this will motivate me to get things done.