Monday, January 19, 2009

Draper Temple

This last Saturday we went to the Draper Temple open house with my family. What a neat experience! The only other temple open house that I have been to was for the Bountiful Temple when I was younger. This open house was really significant because Rob actually worked on some of the woodwork in the Temple. The temple was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! All temples are beautiful, but I loved how this one had a more modern feel to it than most of the other temples in Utah that I have been to. I loved the color schemes and fabrics that they used throughout the temple. The stone on the outside of the temple was imported from China, the limestone used on the inside was imported from France, and they used African Cherry wood imported from Africa. Probably my most favorite part of the temple was the baptistery. It was absolutely breathtaking!!! My second most favorite part was the Celestial Room. It had a huge vaulted ceiling. I don't think I have ever seen a ceiling so tall in any of the other celestial rooms I have been in. It went up and up and up. If you were wondering, Rob worked on the armrests and side paneling on the chairs in the ordinance rooms, on the paneling on some of the alters, and the side paneling on the benches in the chapel. They were beautifully done!
We were really hoping to take Wesley, but I absentmindedly scheduled our tickets right in the middle of his nap time. And after hearing that it usually took 2-3 hours to stand in line, watch the short video, and take the tour through the temple, we decided to leave him home. Hopefully we can take him to the Oquirrh Mountain open house when it's finished. There was such a special spirit inside the temple. I am so grateful for temples and the amazing spirit inside them. I feel so blessed to live so close to 2 almost 4 operating temples. When we got back from out trip back east, Rob and I made a goal to go to the temple twice a month. We have kept that goal so far and hope to throughout the rest of this year. I think the temple open house just started this last week, if you don't have tickets already...I really suggest that you get some and go. It was an amazing experience!

7 comments:

dede said...

I can't wait to go - and now I will be looking for woodwork!! (good for you for your twice a month goal!!)

Charley said...

Oh how awesome! We have tickets to take my family through on Feb. 6th! I'm so excited, my family has never been in a temple, so it will be a really neat experience, I can't wait! Way to go on the temple goal too, we are working on going at least once a month!

Megan D. said...

So cool. It looks so beautiful. I will also look for the woodwork when I go. :)

Andee said...

How neat! This reminds me to make reservations. Thanks!
ps I tried your salsa recipe and we all love it!

Andee said...

me again. You're running the bear lake 1/2 marathon?! Karri and I did it last year and it was great! Wish I could do it with ya this year...could be a first for an 8 month old pregnant lady. Happy training!

Danielle&Lincoln said...

WE ARE CRAZY!!! we have the same backgroung again!!! we are SOUL cousins..he he

Kyle and Jamie said...

We get to go this friday. I'm way excited! Hey by the way...I haven't heard from you in awhile...does that mean we aren't as cool as we thought!!!