Monday, July 18, 2011

Chicago Part IV

Monday was Memorial Day. I decided to start off the morning with another run before we took the boys swimming in my parents pool. The lake front was CROWDED! There were 10 times as many people there compared to Saturday morning. I'm sure everyone wanted to take advantage of the beautiful day. People were running, biking, playing beach volleyball, etc. I ran out to this little lighthouse and this was my view:

It was by far the hottest run I have ever ran. Not only was it already 80 degrees, it was HUMID!

After a quick swim in the pool {I think we were invading a frat party}, we got ready for the day and headed out. We decided to hit up the famous Navy Pier. It was only a mile or so walk to the pier, but by the time we got there we were sweating bullets! I think it was the hottest day of the year that day. It reached 90 degrees and with the humidity it felt like 100!

Beckett had fallen asleep in the stroller on the way and after we bought our tickets we decided to wake him up. I pulled him out of the stroller and noticed his pants were soaking wet. He had peed his pants while sleeping and I had no extra clothes. Awesome. With having no car to go back home or drive to a store, my mom and I went back into the main entrance to see if any of the gift shops had any kid shorts. The only thing we were able to find were a pair of $20 youth sweatpants that we ended up cutting the legs off. Luckily my mom had a huge safety pin on her jacket that we used to hold up the pants. Poor little guy had to go commando all day in a pair of sweats. Oh well, it was better than nothing!

Now onto the fun...

For being a holiday, the Pier wasn't insanely crowded like I thought it would be.

We rode the Ferris Wheel,

Views from the top


We played miniature golf,


and rode the Carousel.

My Dad and Us on the Pier

After using up all of our tickets, we were starving! We decided to try some famous Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. My parents had asked around and everyone told them Uno's was the best, so that's where we went.

Uno's is known for being the first place to serve Deep Dish. It was pretty tasty. Rob and I ordered a delicious Chicken and Pesto pizza, my parents had the Numero Uno, and the boys shared a cheese. We also ordered salad and cheesy garlic bread and the grand total was $95! Although the deep dish was pretty darn good, I don't think I could eat it all the time. It was ALOT of crust!

After we were so stuffed we could barely walk, we decided to call it a night and go back to the apartment and watch a movie. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day!


TUESDAY

On Tuesday we slept in {like every morning}, took the boys for another short swim, and then we were headed out on the town once more. If you haven't noticed, we were go, go, go every single day! We tried to pack as much into a day as we could. First stop that day was at the Westin Hotel. Some kind stranger had found our ipod in the car we rented and had left it at the front desk of his hotel. Talk about a miracle! Our boys would have been pretty sad if we would have only had one ipod for the flight home. I was extremely grateful for the honestly of that nice guy from Malaysia!

My mom and I then had to make a stop at H & M. It is one of my favorite stores and I couldn't leave Chicago without stopping there. The boys weren't too excited about the stop, so they continued on to Mickey D's and grabbed a bite to eat while they waited for us.

The boys sharing a ice cream cone while we waited for it to stop raining.

Mcdonald's had these funny statues outside. Rob couldn't resist a picture with them.


Then Wesley and Beckett had to join in on the fun...

Gross!

We then took the subway to Millennium Park.

Crown Fountain


The Famous Cloud or Bean
{The real name is Cloud, but all of the locals call it the Bean because it looks like a bean}

This was taken from underneath the bean looking up into the middle. Pretty cool! I could have stayed there all day taking pictures. It was pretty fun!

The Missionaries with Wes
{and Rob picking his nose :) }

It started raining shortly after we had all our fun taking pictures. The boys needed a potty break and when my mom and I came back, no one was around the Bean. I guess if there is ever lightning, they have to evacuate everyone away from the bean. It was a rare picture opportunity.


My cute Parents

Some Whackos!
{Love my Mom's face!}

Boys checking out some ducks

view of the river

The Chicago Tribune Tower

Cool Story: Before the tower was built, journalists for the Tribune would bring back stones and bricks from different places all over the world. They incorporated these bricks on the lower levels of the building and labeled where they came from. Some of them included: the Taj Mahal, the Great Pyramid, Great Wall of China and...

THE SALT LAKE TEMPLE!
I thought it was pretty cool.

We ended the day at the movies. We took the boys to see Kung Fu Panda 2 and we LOVED it!


No comments: