Friday, February 27, 2009

ROUGH WEEK!

It has been a really rough week at our house. I have had a really hard time with Wesley misbehaving and not listening to me. And to top it all off, he hasn't been sleeping very well and he developed another horrible cough. His cough has never really gone away completely. One day he would be coughing and the next he wouldn't be. That has been the trend for the past couple of weeks. So, he has been feeling a little miserable and that could be contributing to the problem. One thing that we have been really struggling with this week is Wesley not treating Beckett nicely. I know Wes loves Beckett, but he has a hard time sharing his toys and treating him with kindness. And it doesn't help the situation that Beckett absolutely ADMIRES Wesley and wants to be where he is and doing what he is doing. I don't know how to get it into Wesley's head that Beckett just loves him and wants to constantly play with him. Now don't get me wrong, there are times when they do play nicely together, but that is maybe 10% of the time.
Sibling Rivalry has already began! I thought for sure I had at least a couple of years before it started, but at our house it has already began! Wesley has a hard time sharing his toys and most of the time doesn't let Beckett play with Beckett's toys. They even fight in the car. The phrase "He's touching me!" is becoming a common phrase heard on car rides. (I'm hoping and praying that we will be able to upgrade to a bigger car in the near future!)
I am starting to lose it! Timeouts don't seem to be working for Wes. He recently has decided that he doesn't need to stay sitting in time out and gets out before I give him permission to. I've thought about strapping him to a chair to keep him there, but thought that might be a little too harsh. I've also thought about moving time out to his room, but I really don't want him to associate his room as a negative place. I've been very consistent with timeouts and it doesn't seem to be improving. My patience is running very thin. Yesterday I had to drop them off at my Mom's before I did any harm to him or myself. And because he is sick, it just makes things worse. I am not the type of person to stay at home everyday all day long. We take little field trips daily. When the kids are sick we are forced to stay home and we all go a little stir crazy! If any of you moms out there have ANY advice for me, I would REALLY appreciate it!
We decided to take Wes into the doctor last night because he couldn't go longer than 2 minutes without coughing. Rob took him to Instacare while I stayed home with Beckett. After being gone a little while I get a text with this picture:

My first thought was "OH NO!!! RSV!!!" But Rob quickly reassured me that he was fine and didn't have RSV. He had a severe ear infection and sinus infection. But that didn't make sense because he had been coughing constantly. The doctor said his sinus infection was draining into his lungs causing them to become irritated which caused the coughing. After receiving the breathing treatment, his coughing had already gone down a lot! They prescribed him with a heavy duty antibiotic that should clear up both infections. They also prescribed him an inhaler to help break up the fluid in his lungs and stop the coughing. He had an ear infection about 3 weeks ago, so I'm actually wondering if it didn't clear up all the way and became more infected which, caused the sinus infection which, gave Wes the persistent cough for the past couple of weeks. I don't actually know it that's the case, I'm just guessing. I feel bad for the poor kid.
Although my week has been extremely tough and everyday I seem to be fighting back tears, there are times when all of this seems worth it. Those little moments when Wesley will walk up to me and hug my leg and say "Mommy, I love you!" or times when he gets me laughing so hard I almost pee my pants, or the sweet little moments when he helps Beckett figure out how to use a new toy, or when he sings almost every word to a song we've taught him. It's moments like those when I realize how important they are to me and how grateful I am for the opportunity to be their Mom. All of the stressful, horrible, rip your hair out days all seem to be worth it! I do love my boys! Even in the moments when I want to rip out all my hair and scream!

Here is a little recording of Rob and Wesley singing "I'm trying to be like Jesus." Wesley loves to sing Primary songs every night before he goes to bed. This is Rob's favorite Primary song and he really wanted to teach it to Wesley. It is now one of Wesley's favorite songs and it is usually the song we sing every night. After a long rough day with him, hearing him sing this song definitely makes it all worth it! And it helps me feel like we must be doing something right.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


* Sorry the quality of it isn't the greatest. Rob recorded just the singing (not video) of him singing on his phone. If Wes would have known about the recording, I don't think he would have sang it. I couldn't get the recording to upload, so I had to video the recording off of the computer.

10 comments:

Blass Family said...

Hi Jill, This is Erin Blass (Palmer) I got your blog link from Jesse's blog I hope you don't mind. I just wanted to let you know that I have days exactly how you have explained yours with Wesley, with my son. One thing that as seemed to work for us is taking privlages away for bad behavior and reward him for good. For exampl he would NEVER sleep in his bed all night so we started to give him little rewards like a small treat or a few pennys for his piggy bank now he sleep all night in his room.
I am so sorry you are feeling that way just know you are not alone and it will get better.

Bobette said...

If it makes you feel better EVERY mom wants to scream many days. Being a mom is very rewarding and absolutely exhausting! You are doing a great job and your boys are great and they will all turn out great! Aidan had an ear infection about every week for a long time! We are on his second set of tubes right now! Hopefully we won't have to do a third set!
An idea that Aidan absolutely loves and will do about anything for is I have a little treasure box where if he does good things I let him choose something out of it. He even has friends that beg me to give them a job so they can get into the treasure box. Good luck!

Andee said...

Oh that makes me teary picturing 'I'm trying to be like Jesus' every night! Those moments are so precious. So I saw something on supernanny about this. The little boy would not stay in his timeout chair so every time he got out she would calmly put him back in the chair. The first couple times she would explain why and then she started doing it with no words or emotion. She had to keep putting him back for a couple HOURS, but once he finally just stayed, the kid never tried to fight it again. That seems pretty intense, but if it saves struggling in the future maybe it's worth it. You'll have to let me know if you try it. :) I do have days where I break down and cry! It's nice to know that other mothers go through the same thing. You're great, Jill!

Bobbi Leavitt said...

hi jill. its me bobbi. from SUU. remember me? anyway. I wanted to tell you that my 3 year old knows how to just push my buttons and throw me over the edge of sainity. But, what i found that helped me on those days where i didnt think i could control myself was when i was the maddest, was to (and be aware, this takes EXTREME amount of self control) but instead of timeout or whatnot, wasto kneel down and give a big hug and say "i love you so much, thanks for being my kid! lets do better okay?" i know, it sounds cheesy, but it seemed to help get the negitive energy out of both of us. anyway. good luck.

Kyle and Jamie said...

Hey cowgirl...I'm sorry about wes. I hate when my kids are sick. Jaden and I are having the same issues...I think I am going to go crazy.. I think it's cuz I haven't been able to give him enough attention. I feel like I haven't talked to you forever...maybe cuz I haven't!! We have been to Cedar 3 times in the past month. I hope everything is going ok and I hope wes gets feeling better! Give me a call when you are able to go do something...we love hanging out with you guys!!

Jiffy said...

Jill!!! Oh man, I am sorry you have had such a crazy week! I don't have any advice but I know I will probably be asking it from you! (whenever we get around to having another kid)I hope things get better!

Megan D. said...

You are a great mom Jill. I'm sure life is so crazy and it always seems to happen at once. I don't have kids yet, but it sounds like you are doing a great job...sometimes you just need a break. :) Good luck. We can babysit if you guys ever need it too...just give us a call! It was really fun seeing you on Friday. Let's do it again soon!

dede said...

anytime you are frustrated, play that song again - that was SO cute!! I loved it! Chase is checking blogs with me and he is so excited to see and hear Wesley - we need to get them together for a play date!!

Mama Snow said...

I hear you on the fighting and timeouts not working. Tate and Addie are same way. It can be tough, luckily there is a good day somewhere around the corner for you. We have had three very good days in a row.
I hope you little boy is feeling better.

Kourtney said...

Wesleys little picture makes me so sad. Timeouts are hard. Coop was the worst when he was 2. I had to keep putting him on the time out chair like for 45 mintues sometimes. It mad me so sad becuase I thought what is the point? He is sad and I am not sure he even gets it or understands why he is here. I felt like the biggest loser of a mom. Now that he is 3 I can see that it was totally worth it. In fact when he is naught he willingly puts himself in timeout it is hilarious. You are an amzaing mom! Keep in there it gets so much better.